Here’s a list of 7 simple things we can do to keep your teeth healthy.
- Follow a good oral health routine. Brush twice a day and while you are at it remember to clean your tongue too.
- Floss 2-3 times a day.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit snacking. Avoiding sugars and starches when snacking applies to adults as well as children. Minimize snacking and have a five-a-day helping of fiber-rich fruits and vegetables. Avoid tobacco. In addition to general health risks, smokers have 7 times the risk of developing gum disease compared to non-smokers. Limit alcohol. Heavy use of alcohol is a risk factor for poor oral and general health.
- Use fluoride. Fluoride strengthens developing teeth in children and prevents tooth decay in both children and adults. Toothpastes and mouth rinses contain fluoride. Drink fluoridated water.
- Visit the dentist once every 6 months to ensure prompt cleaning of any tartar on teeth or fillings.
- Understand your own oral health needs. Ask your dentist for any special precautions you might need to take or any medical conditions which your may affect your teeth or oral health.
- Keep Smiling.